We all have experienced those days in the gym when you can’t seem to pick up the intensity and it feels like you’re just going through the motions. Maybe you’re not feelin’ the mojo that day, or maybe you’re growing tired of the same routine. Whatever it is, quick fixes like these listed below will help add flavor to a ho-hum workout. And if all else fails, lighten up the weight and blast out a 100 rep set of an exercise!
Some of the most memorable workouts I’ve experienced happened off the cuff with a crazy rep challenge or a monster back-and-forth set with some rediculous number of total sets between me and my workout partner. Bottom line: If you want to get better you’ve got to stimulate your muscles and give them a reason to grow. Let’s start with these 10 quick tips to ramp up your gym time so that you can create epic workouts you won’t soon forget!
- Pull-ups are natures back builder! Grab the bar just outside shoulder width, pull to your chin, and shoot for 5 sets of 10.
- To really isolate your quads, do leg presses with your feet in the middle of the press plate, about shoulder width apart, and pointed straight ahead. This enhances that great looking leg sweep and separation between the hamstring and quad.
- For thick n’ wide biceps, do dumbbell hammer curls. They’re a great complement to refining movements like preacher curls, and allow for even more biceps peak!
- Half-reps will take your calves to the next level. Do half-reps starting at the top and go only halfway down, then repeat for reps. For the second half of the set do half-reps staring at the bottom and come only halfway up. The catch is that you gotta rep out till they’re on fire!
- Finish your chest workout by standing two twenty-five pound Olympic plates on end about shoulder width apart. Grasp the top of each, and do push-ups for 3 sets of 10 while balancing between them. (more…)